Everyone always talks about how we can improve personal health is by exercising, but what are you doing to keep your pets healthy?
Maine coon cats are generally a healthy breed. However, they still need to participate in regular exercise, just like dogs! Keeping your cat at a healthy weight has a lot of benefits.
We already know that Maine coons are bigger than the other domesticated cat breeds. However, it is not difficult to take care of Maine coons for there are no special requirements. They just need enough exercise to stay healthy to maintain their size.
Experts say that a little exercise can help your feline friend to stay in shape, with a little help from you of course! You and your Maine coon can have a little more fun, too.
Here are some few strategies to keep your Maine coon happy and healthy:
- Aim to play with your cat for around 10 to 15 minutes at a time. There’s no harm in sparing some time for your cat and playing with them. Playing is a great form of exercise for them. It can also express their natural instincts! There are easy DIY toys you can try.
- Cat towers
- Flexible wand-style toy with feather or mouse
- Introduce new toys for your Maine coon. Sometimes, they may get bored with toys and put them away. You can try out a toy shaped like a bird or a mouse. It can serve as an exercise for them as they chase and play with it!
- Give them access to the outside world through windows. Maine coons can sit all day watching the world outside. If you hear them purr, it means they are happy feeling the sun and wind directly on his fur as they overlook the streets below.
- Provide cat trees for your Maine coon. Cats are natural climbers and Maine coons are not an exception. Cat trees are a great way for them to exercise and could actually make them happy. Cat trees come in all sizes and shapes, you can purchase or DIY.
The need to check a Maine coon’s health
First things first, it takes a lot of attention, care, and love to raise a Maine coon cat. Making sure they are physically healthy is one thing. But, we should also consider their emotional health, diet, and living conditions to ensure that they are healthy and happy.
- Emotional health. We all know that playing can serve as an exercise for your Maine coon. It not only serves as an exercise, but it can also relieve stress and anxiety for your cat. They are very sociable cats. So play with them, talk to them, and give them lots of attention. However, if you have any babies, always keep an eye on them because playing with children sometimes can get rough and may cause problems.
- Maine coon diet. One of the most common health issues of a Maine coon is obesity. This is why exercising along with a proper diet is a great way for your Maine coon to stay in shape.
- Living conditions. If your Maine coon is kept indoors, it is important that they get enough exercise. They are hunters at heart so you can expect their natural instinct to always come out. Once used to staying inside, make sure to always keep an eye on them when you take them out.
Common questions about how much exercise a Maine coon needs
Do Maine coons like to be walked?
Yes, Maine coons like to be walked. You’ll see them following you around your house and demand for walks. In fact, walking is an excellent exercise for your cat especially if your Maine coons are kept indoors. The good news is, you can train them to walk with a leash and harness.
Do Maine coons need a lot of space?
Maine coons are huge cats. Some people are hesitant to buy a Maine coon thinking that they cannot provide enough space for this gentle giant. On the contrary, Maine coons can easily adapt to their surroundings. They can do well even with a small space that they can identify as their own. As long as you give them a tiny space, they can relax peacefully and can adjust well.
How long does a Maine coon cat live?
Maine coons can live up to 10-12 years depending on how you take care of them. Though they are generally a healthy breed, they still need proper diet and exercise. If they are well-taken care of, they can live up to 15 years old and beyond.
Maine coon cats are huge fluffy balls of energy. Regular exercise doesn’t just keep their body in shape, but it keeps them happy as well. A healthy and happy Maine coon can live long enough to keep you company if you know how to care for them properly.