Maine coons are known for being the “gentle giants of the world” due to their majestic size, gentle personalities, and sociable natures.
Owning a Maine coon cat is an amazing experience. And oh my, they do really grow, BIG! But have you ever thought if all Maine coons get big?
Maine coons typically weigh over 26lbs and can get over 3 feet long. These big-boned, muscular creatures take 3 to 5 years to be fully grown. Compared to the other cat breeds, they grow slower.
Unfortunately, not all Maine coons can get that big.
Here are a few reasons why your Maine coon is not as huge as it should be.
- Because of their popularity, It’s not surprising that a lot of breeders mixed them with other cat breeds who are normally way smaller and overall different from the features of a purebred Maine coon.
- There are a lot of people who sell Maine coons crossbreed as purebred Maine coon cats. People who are not aware of the physical attributes of a purebred coon buy those kittens thinking they would get an adorable gigantic cat.
- Some breeders who sell Maine coons are not that experienced or just do it for a hobby.
Why are Maine coons so big?
Purebred Maine coons are one of the largest domesticated cat breeds in the world. If you ever wonder why, there are a few contributing factors to their gigantic size.
- Genetics. Genetics can not solely determine the size of your cat. However, we can depend heavily on its inherited generics on the length and height of a Maine coon. A large Maine coon parent will most likely give birth to an equally large Maine coon kitten.
- Environment. Yes, the environment is one of the factors that can affect your Maine coon’s growth! Indoor cats, for instance, don’t get much exercise compared to outdoor cats. Meaning, they require less food per day. On the other hand, outdoor cats are usually more active than cats who are kept indoors. Therefore, they are able to eat more without having any problems gaining excess weight.
- Diet. Apparently, diet can affect the size of your Maine coon cat. Maine coons are naturally large in size. Still, some owners tend to give their Maine coons lots of food thinking that they can maintain their size but this could result in an overweight cat.
- Male vs Female Growth. The measurement of your Maine coon also depends on their gender. The weight of a fully matured male Maine coon ranges between 12 and 22 pounds while female coons averages around 8 to 13 pounds. In terms of height, a male Maine coon can reach between 10-16 inches and a length of 40 inches. Compared to female coons who are somewhat shorter at 10-14 inches though they can reach a similar length as male.
- Fur. It’s actually cute how they look because of their long, shaggy fur. Fur can give an illusion to some people thinking that they are so big. There are things you need to keep in mind to help them grow well. As you know now, a Maine coon can not get that big with one or two years of age because they grow slower.
What should I feed my Maine coon to support optimum growth?
You can accelerate growth, though. Experts said that feeding the right food is the key right here. For instance, young chickens deliver a great deal of energy that your Maine coons need to grow?
- Amino acids
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Fats and fatty acids
It is also equally crucial to make sure that your Maine coons get regular exercise so their body stays in shape.
Common questions about all Maine coons getting big
Are Maine coon cats really that big?
Yes, they are really that big. They are distinctly recognizable because of how huge they are. In fact, there are various myths about the Maine coons lineage. Some people believe in the theory of mating between a wild cat and a raccoon. The other theory involves the Queen of France attempting to escape including her six of her favorite, Turkish Angora cats who safely reached the shores of Wiscasset, Maine, and developed into a modern breed which are now known as “Maine coons.”
Can Maine coons be small?
Maine coons reach their full-grown size when they’re around 3-5 years of age. So yes, Maine coon cats can look small if they are still growing. They can also look small if they weigh around 8 pounds next to an 18-pound coon. However, they will still look big when placed beside an average-sized cat.
How long do Maine coons grow?
Maine coons are best known for their size. Cats reach full size at 24 months but for Maine coons, it’s quite different. They will never stop growing until it’s about 4 years of age. The size of a Maine coon is mostly already set after they were born, it’s mostly down to genetics.
Whatever the reason for how big your Maine coon is does not really matter. Even as kittens, Maine coons are bigger than most cat breeds. Although they can still vary in size, they will not be mistaken for other breeds as they are generally huge. It all depends on how you take care of them.